Summer Slow Jams 2018 is here!
Each summer, game makers get together to make a project with friends and community members in just over a week, and you can, too! Summer Slow Jams is a collection of game making events happening once a month every summer, providing structure and networking opportunities for creatives in Portland and remote participants. Join us this summer at PIGSquad events for team forming, theme reveals, brainstorming, workshops, coworking, jamming, showcasing, and more!
Themes & Dates:
How to Jam:
- Block out your calendar to join us at the opening and closing events! It's important to meet people and share your work to make better games. If you can't make it, that's no problem - jamming remotely is okay!
- Consider the Technical Themes to prepare your approach. This year, they are June: Minigames, July: Location-Based games, and August: Parody games.
- Decide on your jam team by meeting people at events or online, committing to jam by yourself, or joining in the jam with a pre-made group.
- Challenge yourself to make a game within the dates of the jam! Technical and Creative Themes are loose. The goal is to finish something, learn new things, and meet new people. Share progress and participate in support events along the way!
- Share your game! Upload your game to share with other jam participants! Submission links are above. We'll be hosting showcase events for SSJ, but keep in mind that PIGSquad has many showcase opportunities over the course of the year and that we love helping people share their work online when we can!
- Participation is open to all, including people who have never made a game before, people who want to make a game alone or with a pre-existing team, and people who want to work remotely, though we heavily encourage joining us for our event dates to showcase your work and meet community members! We take our Code of Conduct seriously and allow no room for harassment during PIGSquad events or online channels, so know that you are welcome!
- Keep an eye on our event calendar! You can learn more information about our opening & closing event agendas and find more events to help support you in jamming, including team forming meetups, workshops, and work sessions.
- We have lots of opportunities to engage with PIGSquad and community members online via our social channels.
- If you are a PIGSquad Patreon supporter at the $1 level or more, you can contribute to each jam's Creative Theme.
Summer Slow Jams 2017
Summer Slow Jams 2017 was our third year, bringing together developers to create 47 games based on the following themes:
- June Gadgets Jam, Creative Theme: Unconventional Pets
"Make a game that doubles as a gadget! Enhance your idea for a tool or device with the things that make games great!"
- July Performance Jam, Creative Theme: Incomplete Instructions
"Make a game that focuses on an audience watching or interacting with the player!"
- August VR/AR Jam, Creative Theme: Change of Perspective
"Make a virtual reality or augmented reality game!"
Special thanks to Cory, Wesley, and Dylan for suggesting our creative themes via Patreon!
Summer Slow Jams 2016
choose from 30 games to play from our 2016 Summer slow jams!
- June Co-operative Multiplayer Jam,
Creative Theme: "Best Friend, Best Weapon"
- July Narrative or Comic-Inspired Jam,
Creative Theme: "Start at the End"
- August Alternative Control or Tabletop Jam,
Creative Theme: "The Illusion of Control"
Special thanks to Christian, Mo, and hagen for suggesting our creative themes via Patreon!
Summer Slow Jams 2015
- June Theme: Build a game that you can market
- July Theme: Build a game using Twine or Scratch
- August Theme: Build a multiplayer game
Special thanks to picogram & Nyssa for our Summer Slow Jams branding!